As I approach the stadium I was followed by many....each of us in our own world, but we all shared something....It was RED...a love for the color red and what it represents. A world different than I had ever been in and a world I still don't understand completely, but for some it's just a way of life.
From the time I met Eric I knew he liked sports. I saw in the clothes that he would wear that he liked a particular team. It wasn't until being married and spending Saturdays watching a game did I really see how much the fate of a team was a part of his life. After awhile I stopped watching...I couldn't allow my emotions to be wrapped up in a game. My day can't be ruined all because the fate of the clock ending. To my husband it was his whole world. He has gotten better about letting the pains of defeat go...so he can still enjoy the rest of the day...but it is still apart of him.
One of his greatest desires was to be able to see his team play. It was difficult task to accomplish because he never lived in the same state. The cost to travel and the chance to get a ticket was almost impossible if you didn't know someone who knew someone. I was determined that somehow it would happen. Last year his family invited him to a game, but it was the weekended before we would fly there for our race. We couldn't do it.
So after determining that he wasn't going to run a marathon, then signing up on a team to run the same marathon again, we decided to make a small family trip (minus Emily) to Ohio to cheer on Daddy. The girls were so sad last year when they couldn't be there to see him finish. So we bought the plane tickets and then the thought came to my mind. What if....What if they were in town playing the same weekend we were there. It would be perfect. I looked at the schedule and it was if all things where working in our favor. They had a home game the same weekend as the race and we were only an hour away. Eric had already changed his mind about running a marathon...he was going to do the half. Less training for a summer filled with so many other things. Now we just had to get tickets. It used to be harder to get tickets, but they raised their prices so not as many local people go...so we got tickets. We didn't know what time the game would start, but no matter what we would make it work.
Game day came...same day as race day. The race was at 8:30 and the game started at 12:00. We were in Dayton, the game was in Columbus...an hour away. Eric ran fast and I drove even faster. He made it at the end of the first quarter. I dropped him off with the girls and this was his day and his dream. I didn't want him to miss more than he had. I finally made it at the end of halftime just in time to get some snacks for everyone and take the girls to the bathroom.
Eric was tired and sore from running so fast...but he was so happy. He got to see OHIO STATE...in a sea of red play a game. His dream had come true. Exhaustion and a sore body couldn't keep him from the joy that he felt. The game was a blow out...the band was amazing...the girls did great...it was worth everything we sacrificed for that day.
There is still so much that I don't understand about those who love this team...but I understand it a little more. On that day everyone had something in common...on the way to field, at our hotel, and at the restaurant....everyone wore red.
Sunday, September 22, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







No comments:
Post a Comment