Saturday, September 21, 2013

Air force marathon 2013


Last year Eric and I went to Ohio to run in the Air Force Marathon.  I ran the half he did the full.  It was a great experience.  When we got home we wondered why we traveled so far to run in a race.  We decided we would stick close to home to run the next time.  The new year came and so did the emails announcing signups for the Air Force Marathon.  It didn't take to much to connivence Eric to run it again.  He decided he would run on the enlisted village team.  If he raised $500 he didn't have to pay his entry fee.  We decided that we would take the girls with us this year instead of leaving them at home.  Having them be able to cheer on their dad at the finish line is a memory we wanted them to have.

Originally Eric planned to run the full marathon.  Then he decided to run a half marathon with me in June.  When he started to look at summer vacations, softball, and all the time it took to train to run a marathon he decided he was going to switch to the half marathon.  I also decided to run the 5k on Friday night just because I was flying all that way I should do something.

September was hear and it was time for the big race.  Eric was more than ready for his half and I was getting anxious to see how fast I could run 3 miles at sea level.  The girls were excited to stay in a hotel.  Swim in a pool and watch us run.  We swam every night we were there.  We went to pick up our packets and this is where the girls had a blast.  It was like christmas to them.  They have a huge expo center where everyone comes to market their product and this includes giving away free things.  The girls loved it.


We went to the Air Force museum after lunch and it was amazing how excited two little girls get looking at airplanes.  I love watching Eric in these moments.  They are some of favorite Dad moments...watching him watch his girls with such pride and joy.  To see them get excited for something that is has been so much a part of his life.

















Eric's parents came down for the weekend and they brought the cousins.  The girls weren't supposed to know the surprise, but it is hard to keep them from guessing.  (I brought gifts for the Ohio cousins.)  They were a little behind schedule and then Parker got hurt so we decided to meet them after my race.

My race....it started to rain...and then it rained even more.  It didn't stop.  There was a down pour.  Then there was lighting.  I got all ready, waited for an hour and then the race was canceled.  So we met the family for dinner and went swimming the hotel after we were done.  The girls had a blast.  Savannah got so good a swimming that she could swim all over the pool without me being in there with her.  She over came her fear and trusted in her abilities.  It was a great moment for her.



Everything went well the next morning to get Eric off at his race with an exception of the rain.  Luckily I had an extra pair of sandals so he didn't have to get his running shoes all wet.  The rain cleared up just in time for the start of the marathon and the 10K.  The girls and I dropped him off at the shuttle and went back to shower, pack and go to the race.  There was a lady at the expo center that showed us a hair style so both of the girls had to try it.  I was amazed I was able to do it first time around and it turned out so well.


We made it with plenty of time and the girls were so excited to be able to cheer their daddy on for the finish.  His official time 1:51:22.  He said he wanted to run in less than 2 hours and he did that and even more. I am so proud of him.  This wasn't his first half, but it was his first half running for himself not just for me.  It was a great morning for us to celebrate with him and the girls were more than excited.








No comments: