Monday, July 6, 2015

Happy 4th of July

We love the 4th of July. Its a day were people come together and celebrate our countries independence day. Its also a day we reflect on the privilege we have to live in such an amazing country with so many rights and freedoms. This year we decided to take an adventure to Utah and celebrate the 4th of July with one of our families, The Shumway's.We love spending time with them. The best part about being with them there is never a dull moment. This is how the conversations go than then turn into an adventure. I would say "you know what would be really cool..." Then Marion would say....okay "you want Ice cream, shaved ice, and a trip up the canyon" If there is a minute in the day it is filled with an activity.

I started out the morning going to the temple. I had never been inside Mt. Timpanogos Temple and I was trying to decide which one I wanted us to get sealed at. I love being so close to the temple and I am so glad I was able to start of my day that way. (I can't take selfies)
After that we decided to go on a hike up to Mt. Timpanogos cave. I love being by the mountains, I love to hike I love being outside. I wish we had the mountains closer so we could do this more often. The girls had lots of fun. Emily thought we were going to fast and Brittlynn worked her sweet magic of being little and got carried most of the way up. It was a great morning to spend with some friends looking at some amazing views. At one point Savannah even got in on a shoulder ride. It was a little harder for daddy's legs after a run earlier in the morning to carry her on the mountain.








After our exhausting morning of burning calories we decided to go to the local BYU creamery for lunch and ice cream. It was the place to be along with the rest of the town of Provo. The food was great...maybe because we were starving and the ice cream was even better. After we got home we decide to have a little fun a the splash park close by. The water was still to cold for me to jump in, but the girls had a blast. 

To finish the night off we pulled out the slip-in slide and enjoyed the evening laughing an playing in the back yard with a little dutch oven cooking. What more could you ask for in a day. I am not surprised that the girls love coming here. It's almost better than Disneyland.

The next morning we started our day of early running the freedom run 5k race. We almost had everyone with us. It was a blast...the family that runs together stays together.




 After that we headed up the canyon to a little lake for an adventure kayaking. There was a little road block because of an accident in the road. We pulled off an played for awhile skipping rocks across the river. The most exciting part of the afternoon is when Emily was finally able to get a rock to skip. She couldn't believe it. As a tradition for the 4th of July, the girls always have their pictures taken in the Red, White, and Blue.









 The first lake option was full so we decided to go a little higher up the mountain on a narrow dirt road to see what we can find. After almost giving up...then finding a beautiful lake...that wasn't very easy to get to we set out on our adventure. I got in the kayak with the girls because they were really excited, paddled around for a bit and then it took forever to come back. The water was leaking in and the adventure was soon over, because we were running out of time.


We made it back in time to have some dinner and take a little time out to go horse back riding. The girls were so excited to see horses last time they were promised a ride the next time we came in town. If you ask for it you get it. Everyone but Eric had a chance and it was an adventure for all. I didn't realize that was the first time Eric had been so close to a horse. I sometimes forget that he is a city boy.






At some point were were able to relax for a minute...not very long before were off on another adventure. We had almost decided to home and watch the fire works at the park by their house, then I mentioned that it would be so much fun if we went and watched the stadium of fire show from the top of the NuSkin building where Marion works. Some how that turned into us going and seeing the most amazing display of fireworks across the valley. The best is watching the ones that went off over the top of the temple. As we celebrate or freedom how symbolic to see the temple. The temple that reminds us of the freedom that is given to those who make covenants and enjoy life free of sin and captivity. 




No comments: