In the military you are often given the chance to live in different places. Some places you fall in love with and others you can't wait to leave. Either way you find things that are unique to that place and you realize how much you miss it all when you are gone. For me Julio chips will always be my favorite and I was excited to find a bag at the store that we could snack on. The other one while living in Texas I thought it was crazy...and a little weird, but I was so excited to have it when I went back. That is a Texas shaped waffle that you get for breakfast at hotel. We spent a lot of time in hotels eating free breakfast when we traveled for soccer. It was something I missed.
All of that was fun and interesting but we really went to Texas to celebrate Alex graduating from Basic Training. We decided to fly down instead of drive. I am so grateful we didn't drive because it was the longest short weekend ever. We were also reminded of how hot summers are in with humidity and decided we are going to try really hard to stay out in the west when we retire.
We woke up early in the morning to be able to watch Alex run in the Airmen's run they do for graduation. We realized we were a little un prepared as parents going to celebrate. We didn't have matching shirts and we didn't make a sign for him, we just showed up to celebrate with him. Luckily he called us the night before to let us know what flight he was running in so I was able to get a picture of him running. I was excited that I was able to recognize him mixed in with everyone else.
After the run they came back for the coin ceremony. This was a little bit more challenging to be able to find him when everyone is wearing the same uniform, but some how I was able to pick him out and we made him wait for what seemed to him like forever to tap him out. Actually the girls were kind of nervous, I don't think they could tell it was their brother. Eric was so excited to see him and it was great to be able to spend the day with him. The hardest part was to find something to do on a base for eight hours with 600 other basic training graduates and their families. It was a little crazy at some points, it was hot, but the best part of it all was Alex was just happy that we were there and he wasn't marching. We passed the day walking around the eating lunch with everyone, walking around the BX, going to the museum, playing games at the community center, but most of all trying to stay out of the heat.
Friday morning was graduation morning. The graduates marched in a pass and review parade. Watching the military march is always fascinating. According to Eric the basics march better then anyone else you would see march. I was able to get a picture of Alex marching in his flight and I guess I wasn't very subtle because he saw me taking his picture. I only wished I would have brought my better camera to the parade so I could get a better picture of everyone. We had to take a picture in front of the B-17. The same airplane that Grandpa Lescarbeau flew on in WWII. Watching Alex and Eric walking around together was a little crazy. They look the exact same just years apart. We never thought that we would see this day, but it was an amazing weekend to witness.
After the parade we spent the afternoon doing everything we could think of downtown. We started out at the aquarium where we fed sting rays. The girls were so excited to feed them, but then didn't want to touch them. Next we went to the river walk on a boat ride. After the hot ride in the sun we went to get ice cream and walked to the Tower over Americas. There we watched a 4D show in Texas and then went to relax at the hotel before Alex had to check back in.
By the time we left Sea World we everyone was exhausted and we weren't even done with our day yet. We still had to get to a soccer game for the even. I loved looking back seeing everyone sleeping. It was an exhausting day filled with lots of adventures. It was good to see how Alex had changed. We weren't sure what the future would bring him but after this weekend we know its going to be great. His head is pointed in the right direction and with his determination he will succeed. More than anything he is so much like his dad but he has become that way a such an earlier age. We are very excited for him.


No comments:
Post a Comment