Memorial Plaza (Coalition Flags)
It's been almost a month now and time is flying by. It does feel like I have been here forever, but as the days and weeks fly by I realize that I will be home before I know it. That's exciting!!! It's still tremendously difficult to be away from Polly and the kids, but being able to chat on the computer twice a day is fantastic! Yes, we are spoiled and we won't deny it, but we are also very very grateful for those opportunities we have to talk to one another. It's an amazing way to stay connected with one another, especially Savannah, who loves to talk and sing with daddy on the computer. Hopefully since she is able to see me everyday, she will let me give her a great big hug and kiss when I get off the airplane.While it is difficult to be away from those I love, it is very rewarding to be here supporting the mission like never before. Work is busy, rewarding, and makes the time pass quickly. I never knew how fast 11 hours could fly by. Although, there are those days that drag on a little bit, but for the most part, time at work goes by very quickly. It is a very different environment than I am used to, especially working in a Services squadron. However, it has provided a unique and rewarding opportunity that I would never have back in the states. That opportunity is the chance to serve and pay respect to our FALLEN WARRIORS. Those that have paid the ultimate price in defense and service of our great nation. There were so many emotions and feelings that were going through my mind, but here are a few...Humbled, proud, sad...Humbled to know that at any moment it can all be taken away, no matter who you are, what you do, where you're from, how much money you make, or even if you believe in god or not. Life is a delicate thing and no one is guaranteed anything. We need to treat each and everyday that we have as a blessing, because it is. It's a blessing to be able to wake up in the morning, kiss the ones we love, enjoy those precious moments with loved ones, be thankful for those things we are able to do (even go to work or work at home), but more importantly the little things that we take for granted. It is a very humbling experience to be so close to someone who doesn't have those opportunities anymore and those that he or she left behind. I wonder what they wish they had done or said before the unthinkable happened. Thankfully, we don't have to worry about that yet, but we should keep it fresh in our minds. Not to worry about dying, but to know that at any moment it can all be gone, so we need to enjoy each and everyday as much as we can and not take anything for granted. A lot easier said than done, I know, but oh so true. There are loved ones today wishing they had one more day, one more minute, even one more second with the loved one they lost. Proud to know that I could be part of preserving the service, dedication, and ultimate sacrifice of my brothers in arms. Proud to know that I could be trusted with preserving the dignity and honor that they so deserve. Proud to know that, god forbid, if I were to lose my life in the line of duty that I would be so carefully, graciously and professionally taken care of by those that are trusted with that opportunity. Proud to serve with those and the sacrifice that those today, tomorrow, and so many before me have given in the defense of our nation and our way of life. Sad to think of those loved ones left behind...they won't be able to share anymore kisses and hugs with loved ones, special moments alone and just time to share with one another. Sad to think of all the things so many of us take for granted each and everday. Not that anyone expects us to be perfect, but we really should cherish and enjoy all that we have. Whenever times are tough it is worth taking a moment to remember those fallen warriors both past and present that gave the ultimate sacrifice in defense of our great nation. It's so easy for us to get lost in our own world and all that goes along with it, but it's important for us recognize the little things and even the big things we take for granted everyday. Let's all try a little harder to cherish those moments and make the most of the time that we have to share with our friends and loved ones. Don't forget to let them know just how much you love them each and every day. I was able to serve NINE FALLEN WARRIORS this week and even though the arrival and departure times aren't always the most convenient, I will continue to volunteer my time during my stay here. It is the least that I can do for those that have paid the ultimate price to defend the freedoms we enjoy and to improve the lives of others. We all can be called upon to pay that price, but it never really hits home until you witness or are a part of something that makes you realize just how fragile life is. So please take a minute and tell those you love that you do love them. They probably know, but it's always nice to hear.
Up Close of Plate
That's all for now...I should try to enjoy a little bit of my day off for the week.
1 comment:
Glad that you are finding the days fly by quickly! Stay safe Eric!!! We keep you in our prayers!
Post a Comment