Friday, August 21, 2015

A choice...that changed everything

 Monday morning my doorbell rang and I found three youth from my ward. (Lexi, Kathryn, and Taylor) The begged me to apply to be the new seminary teacher. My mind went a little crazy, but excited about the thought that my dream could be a possibility. Ten years ago as I was finishing up college I was able to teach seminary as a intern. I was going to continue on the next year and teach the old testament, but then I started to date Eric and things changed. I have always wanted and dreamt of the possibility of being able to teach seminary. I thought they were crazy and I sent them on their way. That night Emily was getting set apart as a missionary. As soon as I walked in his office he asked me if I would be interested in teaching seminary. I couldn't believe twice in one day I was asked the same question. I found out that they were interviewing the next day and he said it would be early in the morning. I figured I would be able to got to the interview and still keep the plans we had to drop of Emily. I got the text later that night to find out that my interview would be until 10:45. That didn't give us enough time for what we had planned. I was doubtful about how everything would work and thought I was still crazy. With the support of both my husband and Emily, strongly encouraging me, I choose to stay and interview. After the interview, I felt every bit of self doubt go through my mind. Things I should have said or did. I was worried that they wouldn't choose me because of my girls being so young. I didn't even know how it would work with school and kids. So many questions and doubts.

We went and dropped Emily off as planned and my mind continued to wander about the thoughts and possibilities. They still hadn't made a decision and I was going a little crazy. I realized if I didn't get the job then I would be willing to teach Institute or early morning Seminary. I just wanted to be able to teach. To my surprise they offered me a job on Thursday afternoon to start teaching seminary on Monday.

I couldn't sleep that night trying to figure out how I would be able to get my girls to school and still be able to teach. I was thinking of all the people in my ward that might be able to help. Maybe having them go with different people each day. Then Linda's name came into my mind. As I met with Linda and talked about the situation, she told me she would do whatever possible to help me be able to teach. I asked her why... and she told me about how she had been praying for a solution to the problem and when I called she knew that she would do whatever was needed.

So much of my life turned upside down. The hardest part was not being able to drop of my girls at school, or be there when Brittlynn was finished with kindergarten. So time with them became more precious. I often wonder why take for granted the small things in life until they are gone. So now I spend time snuggling, laughing, and being together.

Life became an adjustment as I tried to balance my new job and what I did before. There were days were I didn't want to do anything at all when I got home. I was still training for a race and I had no time. Eric was supportive and very helpful. He started coming home and making dinner, going to the grocery store, and helping the girls with homework.

It has changed our family for the better...but it wasn't easy to get everything balanced at all.

No comments: